Let the library provide you with everything you need for your book club. The library owns sets of books exclusively for local book clubs to check out for their discussions. Discussion questions are included in the set, along with biographical and critical material. Available titles.
Avoid the hassle of reserve cards and let the books come to you. By joining the Bestseller Club you will automatically be placed on the reserve list for the latest fiction by your favorite authors and maintain priority reserve privileges. More information.
Syosset Stars is a special "express" collection of fiction and non-fiction titles for Syosset Library cardholders only. These popular titles circulate for 7 days. Look for the Gold Star on the spine. One (1) Syosset Star Express Pick per cardholder.
Syosset Library can request books that it does not own from other Nassau County libraries, Suffolk County libraries, as well as a consortium of college and university libraries. This service is available for Syosset Library cardholders.
Syosset Library's Local History Center maintains a collection of Syosset newspapers and books, maps and memorabilia from Syosset and Nassau County, as well as many rare and unique photographs. The Center provides programs regarding local history and the local history librarian can aid in research regarding Syosset.
Access to the Local History Center is by pre-scheduled appointment.
Syosset Library provides over 20 public access computers and WiFi access on the third floor.
Syosset Library offers free computer classes to Syosset Library cardholders. Courses include Introduction to the Internet, email, social networking, Microsoft Office, downloading ebooks and resume preparation software. All classes are taught one-on-one by a Reference Librarian and are by appointment only.
Syosset Library has a separate Career Collection with books and databases on job searching, resume and cover letter preparation and Civil Service exams, as well as a list of websites of value to job seekers. Syosset Library Reference librarians also provide several one-on-one resume preparation computer classes by appointment only. Visit the Job & Career Center page for more information.
Syosset Library subscribes to over 60 databases, in diverse subjects such as business, college and careers, history and literature. These databases are available at home or in the library. Use them to search for reference books, magazines, journals, newspapers, primary sources, images, and more.
Not sure how to use a database? A librarian is always happy to help.
The Syosset Library’s Health Reference Center provides free, confidential, and comprehensive information to assist patrons in making informed medical decisions and to promote healthy behavior. It's goal is to provide patrons with the best sources for locating reliable health and medical information.
Syosset Library offers the following to improve access for people with disabilities:
For People with Visual Impairment:
- Large print materials
- Audio books
- The Library provides applications for the New York Public Library's Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library. If you are already taking advantage of this service, the Library has “back-up” Talking Book equipment that registered Talking Book borrowers can obtain in an emergency. More information.
Assistive software enables people who are visually impaired or have learning disabilities to access information via computer. The Library has the following software available in the:
- ZoomText Xtra: magnification from 2x to 16x allowing the user to zoom the screen to the size that is needed.
- High Contrast Large Print Keyboard: to make using the computer even easier for people with low vision. A librarian can install an alternate large print keyboard.
- Assistive software enables people who are visually impaired or have learning disabilities to access information via computer. The Library has the following software available in the:
Closed circuit magnifier (CCTV)
- The Closed Circuit Magnifier, also know as CCTV, is an easy to use device that increases the size, contrast and readability of everyday reading materials, including books, maps and letters.
For People with Arthritis:
- Touchpads put cursor control directly at your fingertips. To move the cursor you glide your finger across the touchpad, tapping once to “click” and twice to “double click”.
For People with Hearing Impairment:
Assistive listening equipment
- If you are hard of hearing, an assistive listening device can enhance your enjoyment of library programs.
If you cannot visit the library because of a temporary or permanent illness or disability and are a Syosset School District resident, you may be eligible for Syosset Library’s Homebound Delivery Service. Call the Readers’ Services Desk at 516-921-7161 ext. 239 for more information.
Syosset Library maintains a collection of College Preparation material and distributes free college packets entitled “From High School to College” containing information to help you find and finance the college that is right for you and your teen. The Syosset Library also provides an array of college preparation programming.